UK Awards to celebrate biological recording and information sharing
Nominations are now open
We are now accepting nominations for the inaugural 2015 awards sponsored by Swarovski Optik UK. The awards will be presented at a special ceremony on the first evening of the NBN Conference on Thursday 19th November 2015, at the Merchant Taylor’s Hall, Central York. -
See more at: http://www.nbn.org.uk/News/Latest-news/UK-Awards-to-celebrate-biological-recording-and-in.aspx#sthash.Uu34YByc.dpuf
from where you can download a nomination form
Terrestrial and freshwater:
- Gilbert White youth award
- Gilbert White adult award
Marine and coastal:
- David Robertson youth award
- David Robertson adult award
Gilbert White (1720 – 1793) is remembered in these awards because his name is synonymous with biological recording. He was one of the first English naturalists to make careful observations of his surroundings and record these observations in a systematic way. He transformed the way we look at the natural world and is recognised as one of the fathers of ecology.
David Robertson (1806–1896) was a Scottish naturalist who founded the University Marine Biological Station at Millport, which opened in 1897. Millport Marine Biological Station closed in 2013, but reopened in 2014 as Millport Field Centre thanks to the Field Studies Council.
Eligibility and criteria
Eligibility for both categories:
- Youth awards will be given to a person (or group) not yet 18 years of age on 30th July 2015.
- Adult awards will be given to a person, group or organisation.
The awards committee will consider the significance of the contribution (voluntary or otherwise) made to biological recording and/or improving our understanding of the UK’s biodiversity. This could include filling geographic or taxonomic gaps in our knowledge, encouraging and facilitating participation, verifying records, teaching or mentoring recorders, or creating and sharing tools and resources to support biological recording.
- Nominations may be made by anyone (including people and organisations that are not Network members).
- Individuals, groups of people or entire organisations are eligible for the awards.
- Nominations can be made for more than one person
Closing date and winners
Nominations close on Wednesday 30th September 2015.
Successful nominees will be notified by the end of October and invited to attend the awards ceremony.